Deepdene Walk Ticket - Saturday 12th September 2020 - 2.00pm (HOD)
'Walking in Dorking' Deepdene Trail - Confirmation of Booking
We look forward to welcoming you to 'Walking in Dorking'!
- Any walkers/volunteers showing signs of Covid-19 symptoms on the walk will need to leave the walk immediately and self isolate for seven days.
- Should any walkers fall ill with Covid symptoms after attending a walk, they should immediately inform the walk leader to allow for Track and Trace.
- Please do not attend walks if you have any symptoms.
- Masks must be worn at all times - and we will be observing social distancing.
Take a walk through the grounds of the Deepdene accompanied by Dorking Museum's knowledgeable guides to learn the fascinating history of the estate. This 90 minute stroll through the gardens will introduce many of the colourful characters associated with the estate.
Hear about the "Drunken Duke", the Hope Diamond, another Duke wrong-footed by his "giddy and unfaithful wife" and the squandering of an inheritance. The tour will include the grotto, the Embattled Tower and the WWII fortifications, with a secret beneath, before walking to the Terrace and a visit inside the Mausoleum. The visit ends with the option of tea, or something stronger, at Dorking Golf Club.
Well behaved dogs on leads are welcome. Children under 12 go free!
- Travelling south on the A24, go past the sign for Dorking Golf Club and immediately signal to turn into the unmade entrance approximately 100 yards ahead, From Holmwood the same entrance is on the right immediately after passing the Chart Lane South.
- If you are Arriving on foot: As above, take the road into the golf club when you reach the sign.
- Meeting point: meet your Museum Guides inside Dorking Golf Club
The walk is on unpaved and uneven surfaces. Paths can be slippery in some conditions and we advise walkers to wear suitable footwear for a walk in the countryside.
A reasonable level of fitness is required to complete the trail; it involves steps and some steep slopes.
The walk lasts just over an hour and a half at a moderate walking pace and includes a visit to the Hope Mausoleum.
Toilets and refreshments (tea, coffee, bar and snacks) are available in the golf club at the beginning and end of the tour.